Electric vehicles pros and cons- This is what we would be discussing today. There is quite a hype around electric vehicles nowadays. People are ditching traditional gasoline cars and shifting towards electric motors. Why is it so? What are the pros and cons of owning an electric car? Read the entire blog to learn more!
Electric cars are the future. These clean cars can run on electricity and are one of our hopes once our gasoline stocks are depleted. Electric cars are evolving with every passing second. Every passing day we get an inch closer to the ideal electric motor. With this change, even the pros and cons are evolving with every passing day.
Let us head on to see the advantages and disadvantages of electric cars.
Advantages (Pros) of Electric Cars
- Environment friendly: As we all know, electric cars are environment friendly. These cars produce no pollution whatsoever. In an age, where the human face ultimate destruction due to the rise in sea levels. Glaciers all over the world are melting. While the sea levels are rising. Predictions have already been drawn upon when the coastal cities of the world will be underwater. In a huge attempt to not have the outcome according to these predictions, the automobile community is doing its part. We are shifting to cleaner sources of energy. Electric cars will help us reduce pollution and in turn, help put brakes on global warming.
- Cheap fuel: Electricity as fuel is cheaper. Gasoline is a non-renewable fuel. With every passing day, the oil wells get depleted and oil gets rarer and rarer. But the demand remains the same. This leads to an unhealthy demand-supply ratio. The fuel, therefore, becomes dearer and dearer with each passing day! It is said that an average American can save up to $700 in fuel costs, provided he shifts to electric cars from the ones which run on gasoline. Imagine having an extra $700 in your wallet at the end of the year. That feeling of happiness can be sensed even here!
- Maintenance savings: Electric cars are known for their motors. These motors do not require much attention and neither do they require maintenance. Forget the costs of oiling and greasing your cars now and then. Electric cars make the life of your wallet easy. Unlike traditional cars which require year-round maintenance, Electric vehicles have a different story. They are easier on your wallet. Welcome home an electric vehicle and reduce your money burdens!
- Quiet: Electric cars are known for their quiet motors. Unlike a traditional car which makes a lot of noise, electric cars are silent. The noise in the gasoline-run cars only increases over the year. The electric car will remain as quiet as it was forever. Noise pollution is another major factor in today’s life. We must feel how much noise does a car hardly makes? But, combine all the billions of cars which run on the road. Can you hear the noise now?
- Tax credits: Governments across the world are encouraging people to buy electric vehicles. This helps to reduce the carbon footprint of the entire country! How are the governments encouraging is the question of the moment! Well, tax credits are the way. In most countries, you have to file for a return when filing your income tax. The rebate will be credited to your account!
- Shorten your commute time: Another way in which the government is encouraging people to buy an electric vehicle is by shortening the commute time. Owners of electric vehicles get access to the carpooling lane. In today’s cities where traffic jams are the unsaid norm, this facility comes as the showstopper for the pros of buying electric vehicles. Watch out for gasoline cars as the electric vehicles drive ahead.
Disadvantages (Cons) of Electric Cars
- Short-range: Electric vehicles are notoriously known for their short ranges. Most of these cars have a range of 100 miles. While some cars nowadays have a higher range, which lies in the bracket of 200-250 miles. These cars cover very short distances on a single full charge. Although electric vehicles are efficient for intercity drives, they are not suitable for people who drive long distances.
- Long recharge times: Electric cars have long recharge times. Many times this charging time ranges from 10-12 hours. Although nowadays cars are available which charge at shorter times of 4 hours. Imagine standing at a power station for more than 2-4 hours every hundred miles. Frustrating, isn’t it! That is one of the larger problems electric cars give to their buyers.
- Large initial investment: Large initial investment- yes! Even after so many tax rebates, electric cars cost more. Although cheaper cars are now being launched, any electric car is still costed above $30,000. This cost is humongous when compared to what people pay for other gasoline-run cars. The cars give returns on this initial investment in the form of savings and other benefits.
- Infrastructure: Infrastructure for electric motors is quite limited. Even developed countries don’t have adequate infrastructure for converting to electric mode. The lack of charging stations is another major factor that hampers the growth of electric vehicles. If developed countries are in this dire state, imagine the situations in developing and under-developed countries.
- Lack of choices: Well, when it comes down to car lovers and car buyers, this will be the most visible problem. The amount of options available to one in this sector is quite limited. With a narrowed list of options car buyers often feel dejected. With the long list of vehicles that run on gasoline to compare to, the list of electric vehicles is very meager.
We hope you like our coverage of the pros and the cons offered by electric vehicles. As we turn to the new world, as we look to the future, we need to evolve ourselves. Knowing the good and bad about our future is one step towards being ready. We will keep bringing such informative articles to you. Until then, drive safely!
You may also like to read: Plug-In Hybrid Cars Pros and Cons
Leave a Reply