MATE X bike is one of the most successful electric bikes since the company, MATE started. MATE is an electric bicycle, e-bike manufacturer since 2016. started as a startup company and backed by thousands of people in Indiegogo.
MATE X Specs
- Powerful motor/battery combo
- Shimano 8-spd shifting
- Tektro disc brakes
- 4.0” Fat tire wheels
- Full suspension
- Thumb throttle
Foldable and portable
This e-bike is easy to carry anywhere of its foldable architecture. but folding it is fairly easy. I read mates tip on using your knee to fold the bike. but from there it’s a little bit tricky. you should find what best works for you.
Now, no offense to women but see that I still have a struggle with folding it back up. I can’t imagine it being any easier for you ladies. or I’m just weak. 😉
I’m not sure how much easier it’s gonna be for those that added extra perks to the bike. like the rear rack or the fenders. I mean that’s just adding more weight and more real estate around the bike. so I’m not sure how much easier it’s gonna be or harder. but again it’s just gonna be whatever works for you.
The overall design and build quality
If we are talking about the design, there is no doubt this electric bicycle is truly stunning. It has the look of what a modern e-bike should deserve.
- Smart color display: Full-color LCD is easy to read on the fly. It also provides you with every bit of data you’ll need both during the ride, as well as after for analyzing what you’ve accomplished. Live battery usage is shown in % for planning just how far you can push the distances of your rides, while still having enough juice to make it home.
- Full protection aluminum fenders: Custom made front/rear fenders keep you and your bike clean, tidy, and dry all year long. Complete protection from rain and mud. (Optional add-on)
- Sturdy rear rack: Perfect for commuting to work or carrying your groceries. Standard 16mm tubing for compatibility with most carrying bags. Can handle up to 25kg. (Optional add-on)
- Front / rear lights: Both lights run off bike power so you can ride straight into the sunset…and beyond. The rear light has built-in brake light that’s activated with a braking lever. It also doubles as left/right blinkers by sliding the button on your handlebar in either direction. Safety First! (Optional add-on)
- Plug and play wiring system: A unique MATE innovation that allows for simple, easy servicing of your bike anywhere in the world. Makes maintaining/replacing/repairing electrical parts a breeze!
Source: MATE X Website
MATE X bicycle has a 17.5 Ah and 48 V battery (0.84 kWh).
If you ride the bike with just pedal assist, you’ll get closer to the 55 miles of range.
Using a pure battery will get you a significantly lower range number. so like every other electric or gas engine vehicle. weight is going to play a factor. I’m sure that people that are taller or shorter skinnier bigger it’s gonna affect how fast and how long the bike can go using those numbers.
I rode the bike from my home, and I wrote it all the way down to the beach using the riverbed. I started with a full battery. there are 5 battery bars which I’m assuming each one is 20% of the battery. and by the time I got home, I only had 1 battery bar left. and I had ridden 26 total miles. and I’m sure with that one battery left I could have gone I would say 10 more miles.
Now mind you the riverbed is not just one long flat road. the riverbed has ups and downs and I was using the throttle here and there just to have fun with it. so from my home and Bank 26 miles going down and up the hills, it was able to handle 26 miles and it still had one bar left.
MATE X bike weight
This electric bike weighs 29 kilograms (64 lbs)
The max speed that I went on flat ground was about 35 km/h. which is about 21 miles per hour. the max downhill that I got was about 26 miles per hour. I also tried to show the instant torque by overtaking other bikers by just using the throttle. it picks up like a charm.
Some of you were asking if the bike feels jerky at high speed. I’m here to say not. I was going full-speed. and I made sure that I was able to handle the MATE X without hassle. the tire is just firm and straight at any speed.
First drive experience
The bike is like everything else that you try for the first time. it just gets easier the more you use it. my advice is to ride the bike like a regular bike in the beginning. just to get comfortable with it. which means no electric power and getting to know the gears. that’s my advice as far as beginning to ride the bike just stick comfortably with it. see what height works for you and just a feel of the bike before you start with the electric.
Once you’re comfortable with the bike. turn on the screen. if you have the electric power to at least the power of one. as soon as the bike recognizes that it’s in motion. it’s going to pull you and it’s gonna use that electric power.
All in all, it’s gonna take you about five minutes to get comfortable with the bike. and to be able to use it with electric power. so it’s not gonna take that long. just a comfortable with it without the electric power turn it on. and feel that power you’re gonna be super excited about it as me. and my nephew was.
Trust me! you’re not gonna want to ever ride the bike without it.
You can find number of accessories in the main website store. they provide chargers, cables, displays, controllers, gear shifters, and much more.
When you’re out riding the bike you can’t help but smile knowing that there’s electricity coming out of the bike. being able to ride without pedaling, standing up as it’s going full speed. so from time to time, it was cool just to be able to stand up and still go full speed. and give the old buns some rest. it’s still a little rough. I think I’m gonna buy a cushion or something for longer trips for the bike. so fun factor major check on that.
You may also like to read: Best Fastest Electric Bikes in 2020
Special credits to Sergio Hemandez